Later this year, Ken Block will release a new video featuring his indomitable ability to deconstruct perceptions of vehicle longevity and ability. In a V8-powered, Ford F150 Raptor modified to be a ruddy mountain assault vehicle.
Vijay Pattni23 January 2014
Ken Block reveals the RaptorTRAX
Friend of TG modifies a V8 Ford Raptor to become a MOUNTAIN ASSAULT VEHICLE
Yes folks, the same man who brought you the Gymkhana series and decided to test the limits of James May's stomach lining, is planning an entirely new approach to snowboarding with his new 'RaptorTRAX'.
"This project is something I've had in my head for a while now," he notes. "I absolutely love my daily driver Ford Raptor, especially since I live out here in the mountains of Park City, so to build this mountain assault vehicle with a Raptor as the base made total sense to me." Of course it makes total sense, Ken: a V8-POWERED PICK-UP TRUCK TO KILL MOUNTAINS.
So, it's an F150 Raptor, modified by Special Vehicle Concepts in California featuring snowboard racks, a roof basket, a rear-mounted winch, interior storage for snacks and drinks, an exterior stereo setup for blasting music, and exterior-mounted lighting to see what he's about to destroy.
Somewhere deep inside lies a supercharged 6.2-litre V8 of unspecified power, a full roll cage, Recaro seats and four Mattracks (they're the things in place of the wheels).
"I'm stoked with how it's turned out," Ken says. "Next up is to take it deep in the backcountry ASAP to help me and some friends slay some powder on our snowboards."
God help us all. If however the almighty doesn't help, you can watch the video later this year, or see it on display at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado. Could this be the foundation for Gymkhana 7? After all, Ken told TG last year how the next one in the series would be "different"...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'