Later this year, Ken Block will release a new video featuring his indomitable ability to deconstruct perceptions of vehicle longevity and ability. In a V8-powered, Ford F150 Raptor modified to be a ruddy mountain assault vehicle.
Vijay Pattni23 January 2014
Ken Block reveals the RaptorTRAX
Friend of TG modifies a V8 Ford Raptor to become a MOUNTAIN ASSAULT VEHICLE
Yes folks, the same man who brought you the Gymkhana series and decided to test the limits of James May's stomach lining, is planning an entirely new approach to snowboarding with his new 'RaptorTRAX'.
"This project is something I've had in my head for a while now," he notes. "I absolutely love my daily driver Ford Raptor, especially since I live out here in the mountains of Park City, so to build this mountain assault vehicle with a Raptor as the base made total sense to me." Of course it makes total sense, Ken: a V8-POWERED PICK-UP TRUCK TO KILL MOUNTAINS.
So, it's an F150 Raptor, modified by Special Vehicle Concepts in California featuring snowboard racks, a roof basket, a rear-mounted winch, interior storage for snacks and drinks, an exterior stereo setup for blasting music, and exterior-mounted lighting to see what he's about to destroy.
Somewhere deep inside lies a supercharged 6.2-litre V8 of unspecified power, a full roll cage, Recaro seats and four Mattracks (they're the things in place of the wheels).
"I'm stoked with how it's turned out," Ken says. "Next up is to take it deep in the backcountry ASAP to help me and some friends slay some powder on our snowboards."
God help us all. If however the almighty doesn't help, you can watch the video later this year, or see it on display at the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado. Could this be the foundation for Gymkhana 7? After all, Ken told TG last year how the next one in the series would be "different"...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance