A few weeks back, Koenigsegg released a very short statement. "What if we were to produce something that is clearly above the hyper car category... what would you call that class?"
Vijay Pattni10 February 2014
It's the Koenigsegg Agera One:1
More details and pics of the super-exclusive 1340bhp hyper-hypercar set to debut at Geneva...
Well, we'd call that class bloody terrifying. Now we learn just what form that terror will take, because Koenigsegg has released more details and pictures of the car that will sit above the already really hyper Agera R.
It shall be called the Agera 'One:1'. And the Agera One:1 will not only be the most powerful Koenigsegg ever built, but possibly the fastest car ever built, full stop. The Swedes are claiming a potential top speed of more than 273mph, which would make it the fastest production car in the world, ahead of the Bugatti Veyron Supersport's piffling 269.86mph and, of course, the recent challenger to the crown, Hennessey's Venom GT which recorded 270.49mph just last week.
Koenigsegg claims “high power and high rpm capability in combination with strong tyres and active aero” will allow it to hit that top speed. And the car will produce 1340bhp and weigh in at just 1340kg. Hence the name: one horsepower for every kilogram. Yowch.
Koenigsegg have also confirmed that that power comes from an uprated version of the twin-turbocharged 5.0-litre V8 we saw in the Agera R; a car that produces a not-inconsiderable 1115bhp. With this extra power comes extra stickiness: we're promised 2g of lateral grip, active aero, an active chassis and 600kg of downforce, the same amount the McLaren P1 produces at 160mph.
It'll be officially unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next week. However only six examples will be built, and they've all already been pre-sold. As have all the McLaren P1s. So, it is said, are all 499 LaFerraris. Looks like if you're after insane top speed, you need to get your order in for a Porsche 918 Spyder or Hennessey Venom GT quick...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports