A few weeks back, Koenigsegg released a very short statement. "What if we were to produce something that is clearly above the hyper car category... what would you call that class?"
Vijay Pattni10 February 2014
It's the Koenigsegg Agera One:1
More details and pics of the super-exclusive 1340bhp hyper-hypercar set to debut at Geneva...
Well, we'd call that class bloody terrifying. Now we learn just what form that terror will take, because Koenigsegg has released more details and pictures of the car that will sit above the already really hyper Agera R.
It shall be called the Agera 'One:1'. And the Agera One:1 will not only be the most powerful Koenigsegg ever built, but possibly the fastest car ever built, full stop. The Swedes are claiming a potential top speed of more than 273mph, which would make it the fastest production car in the world, ahead of the Bugatti Veyron Supersport's piffling 269.86mph and, of course, the recent challenger to the crown, Hennessey's Venom GT which recorded 270.49mph just last week.
Koenigsegg claims “high power and high rpm capability in combination with strong tyres and active aero” will allow it to hit that top speed. And the car will produce 1340bhp and weigh in at just 1340kg. Hence the name: one horsepower for every kilogram. Yowch.
Koenigsegg have also confirmed that that power comes from an uprated version of the twin-turbocharged 5.0-litre V8 we saw in the Agera R; a car that produces a not-inconsiderable 1115bhp. With this extra power comes extra stickiness: we're promised 2g of lateral grip, active aero, an active chassis and 600kg of downforce, the same amount the McLaren P1 produces at 160mph.
It'll be officially unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next week. However only six examples will be built, and they've all already been pre-sold. As have all the McLaren P1s. So, it is said, are all 499 LaFerraris. Looks like if you're after insane top speed, you need to get your order in for a Porsche 918 Spyder or Hennessey Venom GT quick...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power