This is the wheel of a Lexus. It is a fast wheel. We know this because it is (a) a large, lightweight, expensive-looking alloy wrapped in low-profile rubber and (b) flanked by an ‘F' badge, the letter Lexus reserves for only its very hottest creations.
Sam Philip10 December 2013
Is this Lexus's BMW M4 rival?
No, it’s a photo of a wheel. But it might just be a wheel attached to a 450bhp V8 coupe
Officially, we know no more than that. This teaser shot, released today by Lexus, previews a new ‘F model' concept to be revealed at the Detroit show in January. Beyond that, Toyota's posh division is staying schtum.
Unofficially, we'd bet a decent chunk of cash that it's a teaser shot previewing the RC-F, a V8 super-coupe based on Lexus's recently announced RC two-door, with styling inspired by the lovely LF-LC concept.
We're told the RC-F will likely get a revised version of the barnstorming 5.0-litre V8 that did service in the IS-F, likely producing a fair chunk more power than that car's 417bhp.
With all that power reaching the rear wheels alone, that would put the RC-F in toe-to-toe competition with the upcoming BMW M4, a car that'll be revealed in production form very, very soon.
Can a tyre-immolating, Predator-faced Japanese coupe really take the fight to BMW's irritatingly brilliant M Division? We'll find out in January. Hopefully.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'