This is the wheel of a Lexus. It is a fast wheel. We know this because it is (a) a large, lightweight, expensive-looking alloy wrapped in low-profile rubber and (b) flanked by an ‘F' badge, the letter Lexus reserves for only its very hottest creations.
Sam Philip10 December 2013
Is this Lexus's BMW M4 rival?
No, it’s a photo of a wheel. But it might just be a wheel attached to a 450bhp V8 coupe
Officially, we know no more than that. This teaser shot, released today by Lexus, previews a new ‘F model' concept to be revealed at the Detroit show in January. Beyond that, Toyota's posh division is staying schtum.
Unofficially, we'd bet a decent chunk of cash that it's a teaser shot previewing the RC-F, a V8 super-coupe based on Lexus's recently announced RC two-door, with styling inspired by the lovely LF-LC concept.
We're told the RC-F will likely get a revised version of the barnstorming 5.0-litre V8 that did service in the IS-F, likely producing a fair chunk more power than that car's 417bhp.
With all that power reaching the rear wheels alone, that would put the RC-F in toe-to-toe competition with the upcoming BMW M4, a car that'll be revealed in production form very, very soon.
Can a tyre-immolating, Predator-faced Japanese coupe really take the fight to BMW's irritatingly brilliant M Division? We'll find out in January. Hopefully.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power