This is the wheel of a Lexus. It is a fast wheel. We know this because it is (a) a large, lightweight, expensive-looking alloy wrapped in low-profile rubber and (b) flanked by an ‘F' badge, the letter Lexus reserves for only its very hottest creations.
Sam Philip10 December 2013
Is this Lexus's BMW M4 rival?
No, it’s a photo of a wheel. But it might just be a wheel attached to a 450bhp V8 coupe
Officially, we know no more than that. This teaser shot, released today by Lexus, previews a new ‘F model' concept to be revealed at the Detroit show in January. Beyond that, Toyota's posh division is staying schtum.
Unofficially, we'd bet a decent chunk of cash that it's a teaser shot previewing the RC-F, a V8 super-coupe based on Lexus's recently announced RC two-door, with styling inspired by the lovely LF-LC concept.
We're told the RC-F will likely get a revised version of the barnstorming 5.0-litre V8 that did service in the IS-F, likely producing a fair chunk more power than that car's 417bhp.
With all that power reaching the rear wheels alone, that would put the RC-F in toe-to-toe competition with the upcoming BMW M4, a car that'll be revealed in production form very, very soon.
Can a tyre-immolating, Predator-faced Japanese coupe really take the fight to BMW's irritatingly brilliant M Division? We'll find out in January. Hopefully.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- TG's big road test: Volvo XC90
- Schoolrun fashion has never looked so smart. The new XC90 is here, and it's good
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6