Oh dear, that's not gone well, has it? Lexus doesn't normally get these kinds of things wrong, but with this new concept bound for the Frankfurt Motor Show next week, erm...
Vijay Pattni04 September 2013
Lexus reveals LF-NX concept
It’s Lexus’ vision for a mid-sized crossover. And it looks like a bit of a mess…
It's called the Lexus LF-NX, and is the Japanese carmaker's vision of a ‘mid-sized' crossover - think Audi Q5 size - that could become part of the range in the future. Could.
Of course, the styling is all concept fluff, but are we alone in thinking it looks a bit...messy? Sure, it's an aggressive thing, and is said to reflect a further evolution of Lexus' ‘L-finesse' design language that features on today's line-up. There are daytime running lights. There's Lexus' now signature grille. There are many vertical lines.
It's suitably Star Trek inside, following the ‘human oriented' element of the ‘L-finesse' design, and features an upper display zone and lower operation zone, complete with carved metal surfacing and blue instrument lighting. Then there's the yellow and black leather with contrast stitching.
We're only given a hint on power - it's a "new variation" of Lexus' Hybrid Drive system, "tuned for SUV performance". Expect either the 3.5-litre V6 from the RX, or the 2.5-litre V6 from the GS, together with an electric motor and battery pack for full hybrid functionality; brake energy regeneration, the engine used to charge the battery, zero emission town driving etc.
The good news is that the production car, due next year, will be toned down. And if you're thinking it might rob sales off the RX, don't panic. The concept is based on the smaller RAV4 platform, and besides, the next-gen RX will grow ever so slightly to accommodate the Audi Q5 rivalling LF-NX beneath it.
If your eyes need to be massaged by something a little less, er, divisive, click below to see how Lexus can get concept cars right. Just, so, so right.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- Audi R8 rebodied as Skoda supercar
- Czech designer reimagines first-gen Audi R8 as new version of Skoda's 130 RS