Looks good, doesn't it? This is a 1:3.6 scale model replica of the world's most expensive car, arguably the greatest Ferrari ever made. This is a marble Ferrari 250 GTO, and it has just shot up to the top of Top Gear's ‘yeah-we-know-it's-useless-but-we-still-need-this-in-our-lives-now' list.
Vijay Pattni07 February 2014
This is a Ferrari GTO made from marble
Model replica is carved from a single piece of stone, yours for £30k. Rock-solid residuals, apparently
It comes from a company called Lapicida, which specialises in carving bespoke objects from natural stone. For the 250 GTO, Lapicida used LASERS to scan an actual, full-size Ferrari 250 GTO, and then fed this data into a computer for 3D modeling.
Then, taking a step back to the Stone Age, Lapicida employed a bloody enormous five-axis diamond-tipped drill, housed inside one of the planet's largest shaping mills (the only one of its kind in the UK and just one of three in the world), one capable of sculpting objects from a single block of stone weighing up to 25 tonnes.
The drills themselves spin up to 7,000rpm, and spent 100 hours carving out this Ferrari from a single piece of Arabescato marble, after which Lapicida's craftsmen spent several calloused days hand-finishing the replica to perfection.
Remember, just 39 actual, non-marble Ferrari GTOs were built, though this replica does without the 3.0-litre V12 and racing pedigree.
But then it doesn't cost £32 million. It costs a mere £30,000, and looks, frankly, amazing. Lapicida asks: "Would Enzo [Ferrari] approve of our marble Ferrari GTO?" Good question.
For our part, we reckon Il Commedatore might have got on board with the model's, erm, chiseled looks. Its 0-60 acceleration, on the other hand...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'