Looks good, doesn't it? This is a 1:3.6 scale model replica of the world's most expensive car, arguably the greatest Ferrari ever made. This is a marble Ferrari 250 GTO, and it has just shot up to the top of Top Gear's ‘yeah-we-know-it's-useless-but-we-still-need-this-in-our-lives-now' list.
Vijay Pattni07 February 2014
This is a Ferrari GTO made from marble
Model replica is carved from a single piece of stone, yours for £30k. Rock-solid residuals, apparently
It comes from a company called Lapicida, which specialises in carving bespoke objects from natural stone. For the 250 GTO, Lapicida used LASERS to scan an actual, full-size Ferrari 250 GTO, and then fed this data into a computer for 3D modeling.
Then, taking a step back to the Stone Age, Lapicida employed a bloody enormous five-axis diamond-tipped drill, housed inside one of the planet's largest shaping mills (the only one of its kind in the UK and just one of three in the world), one capable of sculpting objects from a single block of stone weighing up to 25 tonnes.
The drills themselves spin up to 7,000rpm, and spent 100 hours carving out this Ferrari from a single piece of Arabescato marble, after which Lapicida's craftsmen spent several calloused days hand-finishing the replica to perfection.
Remember, just 39 actual, non-marble Ferrari GTOs were built, though this replica does without the 3.0-litre V12 and racing pedigree.
But then it doesn't cost £32 million. It costs a mere £30,000, and looks, frankly, amazing. Lapicida asks: "Would Enzo [Ferrari] approve of our marble Ferrari GTO?" Good question.
For our part, we reckon Il Commedatore might have got on board with the model's, erm, chiseled looks. Its 0-60 acceleration, on the other hand...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- TG's big road test: Volvo XC90
- Schoolrun fashion has never looked so smart. The new XC90 is here, and it's good
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6