The Maserati MC12 is quite a Thing. It was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro and Frank Stephenson, and sat on the chassis and drivetrain of the ballistic Ferrari Enzo.
Vijay Pattni02 April 2014
World’s only black Maser' MC12 for sale
One-of-50 Maserati looks like Batman’s personal plaything and could be yours
Between 2004 and 2005, just 50 MC12s were ever built for sale. But only a single black one. This one. And it's for sale.
OK, though the MC12 didn't exactly win over Clarkson's heart when he tested it on Top Gear way back in Series 6, there's no denying this black Maser looks pretty spectacular. Don't forget, the other 49 cars were all painted white with blue accents.
So, the MC12. It briefly headed up our power lap leaderboard by eclipsing the Enzo's time with a lap of 1m 18.9s, and for good reason too. As mentioned, it got the Enzo's 6.0-litre V12, producing nearly 625bhp - a little less than the Ferrari's 650bhp, mind - mounted in the middle, together with a six-speed Cambiocorsa transmission and of course, rear-wheel-drive. When all the performance stars were aligned, the MC12 managed a 0-62mph time of 3.8 seconds and top speed of 205mph. Fast, then.
Numerous victories in the FIA's GT1 class prompted Maserati to increase its original production run of 25 to 50. With just 1,322 miles from new, this 2005 model has barely been used, offered up for sale by a Ferrari dealership in Newport Beach, California.
However. If you live in California and buy this car, you won't actually be able to drive it. Because we're told this MC12 has been EPA/DOT federalized in 49 US States, just not in Cali. That aside, there's no word on price, but bear in mind it cost around £412,000 when new. It won't be cheap...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- McLaren 570S: it’s here at last
- The teasing is over. Official details of McLaren's new 562bhp, 204mph, £145,000 Sports Series are here
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- This is the new Porsche Spyder
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at