McLaren has built a one-off 650S Coupe that has been privy to a few upgrades from the ‘Special Operations' division.
Vijay Pattni28 April 2014
McLaren shows off 650S Concept
One-off coupe gets special bits from McLaren Special Operations, heads off to China
As we told you a while back, this McLaren special ops section is a team of 50 engineers whose sole purpose in life is to build unique one-offs. This 650S Coupe is the latest.
Not the most revolutionary of concepts, it nevertheless shows off some subtle upgrades including a carbon fibre rear diffuser and MSO-branded CF side blades, a GT3-inspured rear bumper, a carbon fibre airbrake and satin back engine covers. All very Dark Knight.
In fact, the whole car is finished in a special ‘Agrigan Black' paint - itself fused with ruby red metallic flake - while capping everything off is a set of lightweight 650S alloy wheels.
Inside, you get fixed-back carbon fibre racing seats - based on those found in the McLaren P1 - some 15kg lighter than standard, as well as satin carbon fibre flourishes around the cabin.
"MSO is monitoring reaction regarding any potential production examples," McLaren says. You could of course, just option these upgrades on your 650S if you wish.
Have a look through the pictures: you will notice that alongside the stealth 650S, there appears to be some lava bubbling through. Has Ron Dennis turned the McLaren Technology Centre into an ACTUAL Bond villain's lair?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power