McLaren has built a one-off 650S Coupe that has been privy to a few upgrades from the ‘Special Operations' division.
Vijay Pattni28 April 2014
McLaren shows off 650S Concept
One-off coupe gets special bits from McLaren Special Operations, heads off to China
As we told you a while back, this McLaren special ops section is a team of 50 engineers whose sole purpose in life is to build unique one-offs. This 650S Coupe is the latest.
Not the most revolutionary of concepts, it nevertheless shows off some subtle upgrades including a carbon fibre rear diffuser and MSO-branded CF side blades, a GT3-inspured rear bumper, a carbon fibre airbrake and satin back engine covers. All very Dark Knight.
In fact, the whole car is finished in a special ‘Agrigan Black' paint - itself fused with ruby red metallic flake - while capping everything off is a set of lightweight 650S alloy wheels.
Inside, you get fixed-back carbon fibre racing seats - based on those found in the McLaren P1 - some 15kg lighter than standard, as well as satin carbon fibre flourishes around the cabin.
"MSO is monitoring reaction regarding any potential production examples," McLaren says. You could of course, just option these upgrades on your 650S if you wish.
Have a look through the pictures: you will notice that alongside the stealth 650S, there appears to be some lava bubbling through. Has Ron Dennis turned the McLaren Technology Centre into an ACTUAL Bond villain's lair?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- TG's big road test: Volvo XC90
- Schoolrun fashion has never looked so smart. The new XC90 is here, and it's good
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6