Another day, another small concept coupe SUV. Just yesterday we saw Audi's mysterious new TT-based Thing, today we witness Mercedes-Benz's effort. Meet the, erm, Concept Coupe SUV.
Vijay Pattni09 April 2014
Mercedes reveals Concept Coupe SUV
Stuttgart product offensive continues with moon buggy-shaped soft-roader set for Beijing
Mercedes chairman Dr Dieter Zetsche announced at Daimler's annual shareholders' meeting that this new concept will premiere at the upcoming Beijing Motor Show, to provide a "realistic glimpse of a series-production vehicle expected next year".
So, that's 2015 for a small Mercedes-Benz squished SUV. As with the Audi concept, it's difficult to tell what size it is, but we're guessing it's based on the new A-Class platform (which underpins the CLA and GLA too), allowing fitment, of course, of the four-wheel-drive system as seen in the A45 AMG.
Oh, and Dr Zetsche also promised the new coupe soft-roader "will boast very dynamic handling", so along with the usual array of Merc's engine range (think 2.0-litre diesel and petrol variants) we can also expect those sensible types at AMG to have had a sniff around the car. Expect fireworks (by which we mean, the 355bhp, 2.0-litre turbo from the A45/CLA45).
"With the Concept Coupe SUV," Dr Zetsche said, "we aim to secure new customers by opening up new segments for Mercedes-Benz." Which means, we're guessing, 'China'. We'll have more info when we see the car at Beijing, but for now, do you reckon a mini-SUV-coupe could be a winner for Merc?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'