Vijay Pattni19 March 2014
The Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe is here
585bhp, two-door, twin-turbo V8 behemoth wants to carve great chunks out of the earth
Naturally, it moves the game on from the CL63 AMG that preceded it, and as such is 65kg lighter than that last car thanks to a lightweight battery, forged alloy wheels and lighter composite AMG brakes.
In fact, the entire outer ‘skin' and front end is made from aluminium too, helping the new S63 AMG achieve better fuel consumption. Which you probably won't be too concerned about, chiefly because the lighter weight also makes it faster.
The S63 features Merc's twin-turbo 5.5-litre V8 engine, here producing 585bhp and 664lb ft of torque, to achieve a 0-62mph time of 4.3 seconds and a limited top speed of 155mph. Option the S63 with four-wheel-drive, and you're looking at a 0-62mph time of 3.9 seconds, plenty fast for a two-tonne luxury sports coupe.
Ah yes, the luxury sports coupe bit. There's Merc's Magic Body Control and ‘curve tilting' as standard (the latter leaning the car into corners like a biker does), together with a seven-speed sports auto ‘box, and an AMG sports exhaust with three modes representing three levels of NOISE.
There's more sports luxury inside too, new AMG sports seats, nappa leather with AMG badging, a three-spoke AMG steering wheel, aluminum shift paddles, TFT hi-res display, and a new touchpad that operates the radio, telephone and sat nav.
Outside you'll notice the S63 AMG Coupe gets a new ‘twin-blade' radiator grille in silver chrome, 3D air-ducting spanning the length of the front apron, a new front splitter, side sills, those AMG forged rims and a new diffuser in high-gloss black at the back. Then of course, there's the lip spoiler and four exhaust pipes.
"Mercedes AMG is putting the pedal to the metal again in the new year," says AMG chief Tobias Moers. He's not wrong. When we spoke to him earlier this month in Geneva, he also told us more about the AMG GT (that's the ‘baby' SLS) that we'll also see this year.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...