Vijay Pattni07 April 2014
Mercedes unveils the new SL400
SL350 replacement gets a twin-turbo 3.0-litre V6, featuring more power and more torques
The new-number SL gets a new engine in the shape of a biturbo, 3.0-litre V6, here producing 333bhp and 354lb ft of torque - 27bhp and 81lb ft more than the SL350 it replaces.
It's got direct injection utilizing spray-guided combustion, Piezo injectors that enable up to five injections per power stroke (steady at the back), and multi-spark ignition. This system, while allowing for up to four sparks per millisecond, also allows us to use the world plasma; it creates a plasma with a larger spatial expansion, we're told.
Which is all very interesting, but we're sure you want to know how this new found engine translates into Things You Can Argue About With Friends: 0-62mph in the new SL400 takes 5.2 seconds, while top speed sits at 155mph.
Outside of the engine stuff, there's a new ‘Frontbass' audio system that turns the SL400 into a ‘concert hall', while the Magic Vision Control wash-wipe system takes water from the wiper blade to the windscreen. Snazzy.
No confirmation on UK prices, but it'll go on sale in Germany with a tag of €97,282.50 (inclusive of Germany's 19 per cent VAT). That's around £80,500.
While SL400 undoubtedly sounds cooler than SL350, we're sure the Merc you're really waiting for is the upcoming, 911-rivalling AMG GT. We've got more on that car at the link below...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power