Remember the Mercedes-Benz Vision Gran Turismo? Of course you do. It's that insanely evil concept car commissioned by Gran Turismo creator Kazunori Yamauchi to appear exclusively in GT6. Merc even built a full-scale static model for last month's LA Motor Show to scare people.
Vijay Pattni09 December 2013
Mercedes’ Vision GT: now for sale
But it’s NOT OFFICIAL. US company will build five real-world replicas of GT6 concept, yours for $1.5m
Now news has reached us that a US company plans to build five replicas of this Vision GT. Though we must stress as this point that IT'S IN NO WAY OFFICIAL.
Florida company J & S Worldwide Holdings has announced that, following the ‘buzz' (read: fear) surrounding the Vision GT, it plans to build two for the Middle East, two for Europe and one for America.
It'll use the Merc SLS AMG GT edition as the base car, and will sculpt that really rather evil looking body entirely from carbon fibre, which it claims will reduce the SLS's kerbweight by some 90kg. The wheels will be custom forged by ADV, it'll get a custom chrome paint job, a retractable rear spoiler, custom exhaust, and an interior modified to each customer's request.
Underneath of course, you get the all the goodies Merc threw at the SLS AMG GT. The 6.2-litre V8 produces 591bhp - good for a 0-62mph time of 3.7 seconds, 0.1s quicker than the standard car - with a new mapping for the gearshifts in ‘M' mode, some more noise, revised AMG ride control, stiffer springs and dampers and twin aluminium wishbones all round.
J & S will charge you the not-at-all-indecent sum of $1.5m for the privilege of GT ownership. But be warned: Mercedes hasn't commissioned any of these. In fact, Merc told TG.com: "Mercedes-Benz designers have developed the visionary concept of a super sports car - the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo, which has only been developed for the new PlayStation 3 racing game Gran Turismo 6.
"There are no plans for Mercedes-Benz or Mercedes-AMG to build this in reality."
So there you have it. An entirely unofficial replica of a videogame car based on a now-dead supercar that costs more than an actual, legitimate hypercar. Of course you want one!
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports