Good news! The new Mini John Cooper Works will be unveiled at the Detroit Show in January!
Sam Philip17 December 2013
New Mini JCW revealed
Mini shows off the hottest version of its MkIII hatch. But it’s just a concept... for now
Bad news! It'll only be a concept. But not for long, we'd assume - we've already seen the Cooper and Cooper S variants of the MkII ‘New Mini', so the production version of this yet-hotter JCW won't be far behind.
So what do we know about the new JCW? Not, at the moment, a whole lot. As you can see, it gets a yet-bigger chin than even the Cooper S, with an extra set of air intakes lurking where the foglights sit on the standard car, along with smart 18-inch five-spoke alloys and much stickerage.
Mini says the sports exhaust gets a JCW silencer system (which, if past form is anything to go by, will be anything but silent), and promises an ‘unmistakable engine soundtrack'.
There's no official word on the JCW's power output, but with the new Cooper S making 189bhp from its 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol, we'd expect it to get a bumped-up version of the same engine developing something in the region of 210bhp.
That should be good for a 0-62mph time around 6.5 seconds, and a top speed close to 150mph. The MkII Mini, remember, is virtually all-new, and Mini says the longer wheelbase and wider track will improve the JCW's handling. Not that there was much wrong with the way it changed direction before, though we'd welcome a bit more travel in that multilink suspension.
We'll find out more about the JCW concept at the Detroit show in January. So, assuming it reaches production (which it will), here's the big question: this, or our newly crowned Car Of The Year, the Ford Fiesta ST?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'