If you have access to the BBC iPlayer, we wanted to bring some heady nostalgia to your attention. This week’s edition of venerable institution Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 features one of F1’s most venerable and loved institutions: Mr Murray Walker.
TopGear.com21 March 2014
Murray Walker on Desert Island Discs
An F1 legend looks back on his life through the medium of seven songs…
Murray touches on his days as a motorbike racer, as an officer in WW2 liberating Europe, his early days commentating on the BBC in tandem with his father, his legendary pairing with James Hunt in the commentary box, witnessing both Damon Hill win the championship and Ayrton Senna’s tragic death at Imola…
It’s well worth a listen. And they play Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain at the beginning.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...