If you have access to the BBC iPlayer, we wanted to bring some heady nostalgia to your attention. This week’s edition of venerable institution Desert Island Discs on Radio 4 features one of F1’s most venerable and loved institutions: Mr Murray Walker.
TopGear.com21 March 2014
Murray Walker on Desert Island Discs
An F1 legend looks back on his life through the medium of seven songs…
Murray touches on his days as a motorbike racer, as an officer in WW2 liberating Europe, his early days commentating on the BBC in tandem with his father, his legendary pairing with James Hunt in the commentary box, witnessing both Damon Hill win the championship and Ayrton Senna’s tragic death at Imola…
It’s well worth a listen. And they play Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain at the beginning.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan reveal their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Mercedes to build pickup truck
- Slinky concept sketch reveals upcoming Benz rival to the mighty Toyota Hilux. Truck yeah!
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one