Vijay Pattni03 September 2013
It’s the new Land Rover Discovery*!
*Again, sort of. Disco also gets a facelift, some driver aids and more economy…
For 2014, the new Disco - a longtime TG favourite in the proper SUV class - gets a new front grille, new front bumper, new headlamps and daytime running lights, two new alloy wheel designs and an optional ‘black design pack' that rides on 20s.
There are some new badges (‘Discovery' replaces ‘Land Rover' across the bonnet). There is a reduction in CO2 emissions from the 3.0-litre V6 diesel (down from 230g/km to 213g/km). There is more economy (35.3mpg, up 3.5mpg). And there are driver aids including wade sensing, blind spot monitoring, closing vehicle sensing, reverse traffic detection and T-junction cameras.
There's no increase in performance, mind, so you're still looking at 252bhp, a whopping 442lb ft of torque, a 0-60mph time of 8.8 seconds, a top speed of 112mph and an overall kerbweight heavier than the moon (2570kg).
Prices to be announced in due course, but UK deliveries will begin in mid-November. "The Discovery is the perfect vehicle for people who enjoy living an active lifestyle to the full," says LR global brand director John Edwards.
So, for those ardent TopGear.commers who enjoy living an active lifestyle to the full, what do you make of the refreshed Disco?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance