This is the all-new i20, a supermini described by its South Korean manufacturer as ‘confirming Hyundai's position as a truly European automaker'. Whuh?
TopGear.com11 August 2014
This is the new Hyundai i20
South Korea’s ‘European’ Fiesta rival revealed. Has lots of space for humans and luggage
Turns out this isn't a case of extreme geographic confusion. Instead, Hyundai tells us its new Fiesta/Polo/Corsa rival has been designed and developed in Europe to ‘meet the needs of European consumers'. European consumers and their fat fingers.
The i20 goes on sale in chubby-digited Europe in November. With its blacked-out C-pillar and glitzy LED running lights, we reckon it looks pretty tidy. Even in brown.
The second-gen i20 sits on a fresh platform, larger than that of the car it replaces. Wheelbase stands at 257cm while total length is 404cm, growth of 4cm and 5cm respectively on the current i20. That makes it slightly longer than both the Fiesta and Polo, with Hyundai claiming class-leading legroom and bootspace.
The i20 also gets a full length panoramic sunroof, a first for the sector.
Engines are carried over from the previous i20, with the addition of a newly developed 1.4-litre petrol. Petrol-fans can chose between said 1.4 or the old 1.25, whereas diesel buyers can choose between a 1.1 or a another 1.4. No i20 has more than 98bhp...
A new 1.0-litre triple will also make an appearance in 2015.
Prices will be announced closer to launch, but we'd expect a small premium on the current i20, which starts just north of £10,000. We've said it before, and we'll say it again. You've conquered the mass market, Hyundai: now - especially considering the i20's involvement in the whole rally-thing - isn't it time to get stuck into the hot hatch competition, too?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance