This is the new Mazda2, the Japanese company's Fiesta-sized supermini. And you will agree, it's a smart looking thing.
Tom Fogden17 July 2014
It’s the new Mazda2!
Mazda updates its supermini with a new face and some new engines
That'll be the KODO - or ‘Soul of Motion' design - which Mazda hopes will endear its pint-sized creation to the masses of Europe.
Detailed information on the car is a touch sparse, but we know there'll be a new 1.5-litre SKYACTIV-D diesel engine alongside the 1.5-litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine. The petrol engines will have a range of power options as well, so here's hoping there's a 200bhp variant amongst them to do battle with the Ford Fiesta ST.
To go with the SKYACTIV engines there are manual and automatic transmissions on offer, along with Mazda's MZD Connect system, which means the driver doesn't have to spend hours of fiddling to change the radio station. The interior looks spacious and uncluttered, and we're told the new 2 will also have a ‘class-beating' range of safety technologies to prevent you from ruining the KODO bodywork.
Don't forget, the current Mazda2 remains a strong alternative to cars like the Ford Fiesta; fun to drive, good looks and good value for money.
The Mazda2 goes on sale in the Autumn for the Japanese, but in Europe we'll probably have to wait until early 2015. Tempted?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports