This is the new Mazda2, the Japanese company's Fiesta-sized supermini. And you will agree, it's a smart looking thing.
Tom Fogden17 July 2014
It’s the new Mazda2!
Mazda updates its supermini with a new face and some new engines
That'll be the KODO - or ‘Soul of Motion' design - which Mazda hopes will endear its pint-sized creation to the masses of Europe.
Detailed information on the car is a touch sparse, but we know there'll be a new 1.5-litre SKYACTIV-D diesel engine alongside the 1.5-litre SKYACTIV-G petrol engine. The petrol engines will have a range of power options as well, so here's hoping there's a 200bhp variant amongst them to do battle with the Ford Fiesta ST.
To go with the SKYACTIV engines there are manual and automatic transmissions on offer, along with Mazda's MZD Connect system, which means the driver doesn't have to spend hours of fiddling to change the radio station. The interior looks spacious and uncluttered, and we're told the new 2 will also have a ‘class-beating' range of safety technologies to prevent you from ruining the KODO bodywork.
Don't forget, the current Mazda2 remains a strong alternative to cars like the Ford Fiesta; fun to drive, good looks and good value for money.
The Mazda2 goes on sale in the Autumn for the Japanese, but in Europe we'll probably have to wait until early 2015. Tempted?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV