This is the new Mercedes-Benz V-Class, revealed at the Munich Olympics complex. And it looks good.
Vijay Pattni31 January 2014
Mercedes reveals the new V-Class
It’s the S-Class of the van world! And my, doesn’t it look good?
Stylish good. It also promises a revolution in the world of vans, though not in quite the same way as Top Gear would like. Where we'd request laser-guided rockets and V8-powered food blenders on board, the new V-Class opts for luxury and convenience. You can't win them all.
Still, inside you get high-quality materials, nappa leather, ambient lighting, a free-standing central display, multifunction steering wheel, a touchpad and optional surround sound.
Then there's four-way lumber support and ventilation for the seats, which themselves can be arranged in many different configurations. You can open the rear windscreen without opening the boot, too, should you have parked your V-Class in a tight spot. Or if one of the many on-board guests requires a speedy exit.
Engines available at launch include Merc's 2.1-litre four-pot turbo diesel, offered with 136bhp, 163bhp and, in the case of the V250, 190bhp guises. The latter replaces the old 3.0-litre V6 diesel. The automatic 7G-tronic ‘box is available as an option for the lesser powered variants, and is standard on the V250. Sadly, there is no word on a V63 AMG. And this is a fault that needs to be remedied immediately. Just imagine.
Because it's a Benz, you get lots of electronic assistants in the shape of agility control (adaptive damping), adaptive ESP and attention assist, all first seen on the E- and S-Class. You can option proximity cruise control, collision prevention assist, lane keeping assist, blind spot assist, and adaptive highbeam assist. Any more assists and it'd load the rear up by itself and, well, drive itself too.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance