Here are the first pictures of the brand new Volvo XC90. Well, pictures of its innards, anyway.
Vijay Pattni27 May 2014
Peek inside the new Volvo XC90
Volvo's 'most luxurious ever interior' to debut in new big SUV. Looks great, doesn't it?
Today, Volvo is beginning its launch tease for its upcoming SUV, showing us the car from the ‘inside out'. And as you'll see, it's a very nice inside.
We're told it's the most luxurious interior to have ever been designed for a Volvo, taking its inspiration from Swedish design and including a giant, tablet-like touch-screen control console that sits at the heart of the dashboard. It's huge.
It's button-free and gives you access to a wide range of Internet based providings, naturally. Elsewhere there's the usual slathering of soft leather, wood, and hand-crafted details such as a gearlever made of crystal glass, and diamond-cut controls for the start/stop and volume control.
The new XC90 will sit on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture - a modular platform that allows a wider range of design possibilities, better safety features (it is a Volvo) and more interior space. These are good, honourable things.
We'll see the outside of the all-new XC90 later this summer. On the evidence of the recent design studies from new Volvo styling boss Thomas Ingenlath, we're quietly excited...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Top Gear’s Top Ten Lairy Pick-Ups
- From BMW’s V8-engined M3 truck to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, we round up Planet Earth's maddest trucks
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6