If you watched Hammond’s thrash around Yas Marina or read our extensively extensive first drive, you’ll know we’ve been more than a little impressed by the 918 Spyder, Porsche's 875bhp hyper-hybrid rival to McLaren's P1.
Sam Philip15 April 2014
How driving the Porsche 918 feels
Ride on board the 875bhp hyper-hybrid with this brilliant driver’s eye lap of Austin’s GP circuit
But if you want to feel just how savage the acceleration and vicious the noise from the 918’s lethal combination of race-grade V8 and electric motor really is, you won’t get much closer than this brilliant driver’s eye video released today by Porsche.
In it, Porsche factory driver and certified helmsmith Patrick Long blitzes around Texas’s Circuit Of The Americas… with a camera strapped to his face. We’re not quite sure how he can, y'know, actually see anything, but Long still nails a tidy lap with a healthy dose of sideways at the end.
Have a watch, and then tell us: are you with Hammond or Clarkson on this one? Porsche 918 or McLaren P1? We'll take both, ta. With a LaFerrari for weekends…
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power