Sam Philip23 April 2014
Porsche Macan gets four-cylinder engine
‘Baby’ SUV gets turbo petrol from the Golf GTI, but when will it reach the UK?
Specifically, it's a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo, closely related to the engine found in the Golf GTI ‘Performance Pack' and sending 233bhp and 258lb ft of torque to the wheels through Porsche's seven-speed ‘PDK' gearbox.
Porsche says the entry-level Macan will get from 0-62mph in 6.9 seconds, with a 139mph top speed.
In comparison, the Macan S - with its 3.0-litre V6 petrol making 335bhp and 339lb ft of torque - will do the 0-62mph sprint in 5.4 seconds and top out at 159mph.
The base Macan will officially return 37.6mpg and 168g/km of CO2. It's the first road-going Porsche since the 968 of the mid-Nineties to get a four-pot, but don't forget the 919 - Porsche's new LMP1 racer - uses a 2.0-litre V4 turbo, albeit mated to hefty electric modules.
Prices? We're afraid we can't do that, Dave, because the four-pot Macan hasn't yet been officially confirmed for Britain, or indeed anywhere in Europe. It'll launch in China, a market that offers tax breaks on sub-3.0-litre engines.
However, our Porsche sources tell us they expect the four-cylinder Macan to reach the UK ‘in very small numbers', most likely some time next year.
So, a four-cylinder Porsche. Sacrilege, or smart thinking?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Meet SVO's £149,000 Range Rover
- Thought picnicking on a Rangey's tailgate couldn’t get any posher? Enter JLR Special Ops
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan reveal their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Mercedes to build pickup truck
- Slinky concept sketch reveals upcoming Benz rival to the mighty Toyota Hilux. Truck yeah!
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one