Sam Philip23 April 2014
Porsche Macan gets four-cylinder engine
‘Baby’ SUV gets turbo petrol from the Golf GTI, but when will it reach the UK?
Specifically, it's a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo, closely related to the engine found in the Golf GTI ‘Performance Pack' and sending 233bhp and 258lb ft of torque to the wheels through Porsche's seven-speed ‘PDK' gearbox.
Porsche says the entry-level Macan will get from 0-62mph in 6.9 seconds, with a 139mph top speed.
In comparison, the Macan S - with its 3.0-litre V6 petrol making 335bhp and 339lb ft of torque - will do the 0-62mph sprint in 5.4 seconds and top out at 159mph.
The base Macan will officially return 37.6mpg and 168g/km of CO2. It's the first road-going Porsche since the 968 of the mid-Nineties to get a four-pot, but don't forget the 919 - Porsche's new LMP1 racer - uses a 2.0-litre V4 turbo, albeit mated to hefty electric modules.
Prices? We're afraid we can't do that, Dave, because the four-pot Macan hasn't yet been officially confirmed for Britain, or indeed anywhere in Europe. It'll launch in China, a market that offers tax breaks on sub-3.0-litre engines.
However, our Porsche sources tell us they expect the four-cylinder Macan to reach the UK ‘in very small numbers', most likely some time next year.
So, a four-cylinder Porsche. Sacrilege, or smart thinking?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?