Maybe it's mere coincidence. We suspect not. Earlier this year, Aston Martin released its uprated Rapide S, pushing the power of its V12 four-door from 500bhp to 550bhp. Which was just a few more horsepowers than the Porsche Panamera Turbo S.
Sam Philip31 October 2013
New Panamera Turbo S: is very fast
Porsche takes the fight to the Aston Martin Rapide with its upgraded 562bhp, 193mph super-tourer
Now Porsche has announced the facelifted, even-more-powerful, even faster Panamera Turbo S. Power from its twin-turbo 4.2-litre V8 rises to 562bhp, 20bhp more than the current Turbo S and a dozen horses ahead of that pesky Rapide.
Porsche has liberated that extra power through a new brace of turbochargers with larger compressors, and increased injection pressure by 20 bar. Torque also rises by 37lb ft to a meaty 553lb ft, with an overboost function raising it to 590lb ft for short bursts.
All of which adds up to an indecently rapid machine. The upgraded Panamera will do 0-62mph in an official 3.8 seconds - though remember Porsche is notoriously conservative with its acceleration figures - and a top speed of 193mph. Enough to make the 190mph, 0-62mph-in-4.9-secs Rapide look pedestrian.
Despite the power hike, Porsche claims economy of the Panamera Turbo S has risen 11 per cent to 27.7mpg.
The facelifted Panamera Turbo S will officially debut at the Tokyo show later this month, and will land in the UK in January with prices starting at £131,049. That's £15k less than the Aston Rapide S. Which would you take?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance