This is the Red Bull X2014 concept, unveiled today at Sony's massive launch party for new Commodore 64 title Gran Turismo 6. It is utterly, gloriously bonkers.
Vijay Pattni03 December 2013
Mother of god, it’s the Red Bull X2014
RB ace Adrian Newey sketches out his ultimate racing fantasy. You want it? You can’t even drive it
The X2014 follows 2010's ‘X1' concept, and was designed by Red Bull chief scribe Adrian Newey; the architect behind Sebastian Vettel's incredible four-in-a-row Formula One world championships. And you can't even drive it.
That's principally because a) its not actually real, and b) you're not good enough to cope with the sheer speed of this thing. Though details are thin on the ground, it follows that X1 concept in pitching for the title of the universe's ultimate racing car; the fastest thing on four wheels.
We're told there will be three versions for Gran Turismo 6: the Red Bull X2014 Fan car, the Red Bull X2014 Standard car, and the Red Bull X2014 Junior car. And that reference to ‘Fan' is important. The original X1 concept featured a 3.0-litre twin-turbo V6 engine producing a lightly whopping 1483bhp, with a theoretical top speed of 249mph. Then there's the massive fan at the rear of the car - long a dream for Newey - creating huge downforce that sucks the car to the floor.
That X1 also slashed a good 30 seconds from Sebastian Vettel's time when he took it out on a virtual shakedown around the Nürburgring, when compared to his time in an F1 car. This one promises even more fastness and stickiness.
We'll update with more details as soon as we get them, but until then, just revel in the sheer madness of the thing. And praise be to Adrian Newey's Massive Brains.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV