Renault wants revenge. Via the medium of Facebook, it has revealed a cryptic teaser with the hashtag "Under8" which can only mean one thing: it wants to get around the Nürburging in less than eight minutes.
Vijay Pattni24 April 2014
Renault aims for a sub-8min ‘Ring time
Mysterious post pops up on Facebook teasing ‘Under8’ hashtag. Get ready for a Nürburgring war
Well, at least we think it wants it to. The only details we've been given are this shot of the rear of a Megane with an Akrapovic exhaust system, and another with a list of sponsors. The company itself is keeping very quiet, saying only that there are "two months to go..."
To get anywhere near eight minutes around the Nürburgring is - even in today's world of Porsche 918 Spyders and McLaren P1s - still an incredible achievement, but allow us to provide some context first.
Way back in 2011, Renault's Megane RS 265 Trophy managed to scorch a path around the Nürburgring nine seconds quicker than the previous title-holder, the Megane R26R. That time was 8m 07.97s.
An astonishing achievement for a front-drive, road-legal hatch that stood for some time. Until earlier this year, when Seat strapped touring car champ Jordi Gene into a 276bhp Leon Cupra 280 and set him loose. Gene, utilising the witchcraft of those Nürburgring forests, managed a time of 7m 58.4s, setting a ‘record' for a front-wheel-drive production car.
Of course, as we've maintained time and time again, there is no official ‘Ring lap time governing authority, nor is there agreement on exactly where a lap should start and finish.
But regardless, Seat is the current king of the front-drive hatches, and Renault is peeved. Honda wants in on this battle too, because it recently announced its new Civic Type R will also be able to complete a lap of the 'Ring in under eight minutes.
Renault will release more details in June. Get ready for a war...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer
- First UK drive: Mercedes-AMG GT S
- It’s our first shot in Merc’s 503bhp, V8 sports car on home roads. Brit correspondent Ollie Marriage reports