Last month, Renault Sport Technologies made a brave, bold announcement: it would build a brand new RS Trophy show car to compete in the World Series by Renault.
Vijay Pattni30 July 2014
Meet Renault's new R.S 01 racer
The 500bhp World Series by Renaultracer will be revealed next month. Here’s another picture
Today, we learn its name: it's called the R.S 01. Oh, and it'll have more than 500bhp.
Interest sufficiently piqued? Good. We've only been given a few key details, but they are Good Details. The chassis is a carbon monocoque, built by Dallara, while that monster engine will be a Nismo unit making that headline power output.
There's also a seven-speed sequential gearbox suppled by Sadev, driving the rear wheels, and specific rubber, too; Michelin has been tasked with developing a bespoke tyre package for the R.S 01.
RST tell us this track pony will weigh just 1100kg, which means a solid power-to-weight ratio of just under 500bhp per tonne. No word on a 0-62mph time, but expect it to be quick enough to make you reconsider your life choices.
The full unveil - with all the details and proper pics (not the shady teaser above) - will be at the Moscow Motor Show on 27 August. Put it in your diary.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power