Seat has commemorated 30 years of its most successful model, the Ibiza, by lopping its head right off and painting it orange. It's called the Cupster, and it's coming to Worthersee.
Vijay Pattni21 May 2014
This is the Seat Ibiza Cupster concept
Seat celebrates 30 years of Ibiza by chopping its head clean off. Also gets 176bhp turbo engine
The roofless supermini concept shares much of the body shell as the production model right up to the shoulder line, at which point everything gets airy.
Instead of a roof, there's, um, sky, and instead of a front windscreen, there's a short, wraparound strip of glass. The concept is decked out in ‘new orange' paint, with a dark grey cover behind the seats.
The lack of a proper windscreen has necessitated a lowering of the seats to protect occupants from the vagaries of everyday road travel. As such, the racing bucket seats are mounted 80mm lower than the standard Ibiza, so you won't get any flies in your mouth, and the steering wheel is layered in leather that what the manufacturer describes as ‘wonderful to the touch'.
In fact, the entire cockpit has been styled after the Ibiza race cars from the Ibiza Trophy series, featuring minimalist instruments and black Alcantara upholstery.
Power wise, you're looking at the VW Group's venerable 1.4-litre turbocharged four-pot engine, here producing 176bhp and running through a dual-clutch automatic gearbox to the front wheels, which measure 18in.
"The Ibiza has always been the heart of Seat, a young dynamic car with an emotional design and a good head for the practical things in life," Seat president Jürgen Stackmann notes.
Yeah, it had a good head, until you chopped it off...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance