Seat has commemorated 30 years of its most successful model, the Ibiza, by lopping its head right off and painting it orange. It's called the Cupster, and it's coming to Worthersee.
Vijay Pattni21 May 2014
This is the Seat Ibiza Cupster concept
Seat celebrates 30 years of Ibiza by chopping its head clean off. Also gets 176bhp turbo engine
The roofless supermini concept shares much of the body shell as the production model right up to the shoulder line, at which point everything gets airy.
Instead of a roof, there's, um, sky, and instead of a front windscreen, there's a short, wraparound strip of glass. The concept is decked out in ‘new orange' paint, with a dark grey cover behind the seats.
The lack of a proper windscreen has necessitated a lowering of the seats to protect occupants from the vagaries of everyday road travel. As such, the racing bucket seats are mounted 80mm lower than the standard Ibiza, so you won't get any flies in your mouth, and the steering wheel is layered in leather that what the manufacturer describes as ‘wonderful to the touch'.
In fact, the entire cockpit has been styled after the Ibiza race cars from the Ibiza Trophy series, featuring minimalist instruments and black Alcantara upholstery.
Power wise, you're looking at the VW Group's venerable 1.4-litre turbocharged four-pot engine, here producing 176bhp and running through a dual-clutch automatic gearbox to the front wheels, which measure 18in.
"The Ibiza has always been the heart of Seat, a young dynamic car with an emotional design and a good head for the practical things in life," Seat president Jürgen Stackmann notes.
Yeah, it had a good head, until you chopped it off...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer