Next week, Subaru will officially unveil its brand new WRX STI, but before that day arrives, it has decided to reveal the racing version. Meet the WRX STI headed for the Nürburgring 24hr race.
Vijay Pattni10 January 2014
It’s the new Subaru WRX STI!*
*Well, the racing version headed for the Nürburgring 24hrs, anyway. And it looks good
It's the seventh consecutive year Subaru will field a vehicle in the race, and the company is aiming for a third win in the SP3T class (it last won in 2012, only narrowly being beaten last year by a pesky Audi TT).
Of course, because the base car hasn't been officially revealed yet, we haven't been given any other information on performance or drivetrain, but, the SP3T class allows for turbocharged engines between 1.6 and 2.0-litres. No prizes for guessing what size this Scooby will use.
Hideharu Tatsumi will return as team manager - in addition to developing the car - while Toshihiro Yoshida and Kouta Sasaki have been named as drivers, alongside two more unconfirmed names from Europe.
Looks good, doesn't it? This racing pedigree bodes well for the production car, which - as explained - we'll see at the Detroit Motor Show next week.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- McLaren 570S: it’s here at last
- The teasing is over. Official details of McLaren's new 562bhp, 204mph, £145,000 Sports Series are here
- This is the new Porsche Spyder
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at