Vijay Pattni27 November 2013
This is the last ever Lambo Gallardo
Red Spyder Performante marks death of a modern Lambo icon. Can we have the new one now?
After 10 years, 14,022 models sold, an island's worth of new tyres torched in the name of performance and a wall of ear-splitting noise, Lamborghini's little baby has now ended production. That bright red LP570-4 Spyder Performante model you see above is the very, last, one.
We've long known the Gallardo's time was up. It's been on sale for 10 years now - it appeared at the celebrations of the company's 40th anniversary - but marked a turning point for the modern era of Lambo.
From Lamborghini's emergence as a supercar maker way back in the 60s until 2003, it sold an average of just 250 cars each year. In the last decade since the Gallardo kicked in the door and announced its arrival, Lambo sold 2,000 cars a year. And as anyone familiar with a calculator will attest, more models means more money means more bonkers special editions.
Sure, 32 variants later, and the Gallardo feels a little old-school compared to the modern flux of supercars - 458 and McLaren 12C, we're looking at you - but in its day, it was a little riot, and it all culminated in that final ‘Squadra Corse' edition we saw at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
The replacement for this Gallardo will arrive next year. In the meantime, take a moment out of your day to watch Jeremy test the old Gallardo Spyder from Series 8: a test that, don't forget, inspired Clarkson to go straight out and buy one...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Alpina celebrates 50th with 200mph B6
- Renowned BMW fiddler brings in the half-century in the only way it knows how: speed and power
- Bugatti has sold the very last Veyron
- The fastest car in history is all sold out. Middle Eastern customer buyers 450th, and final, Veyron GSV
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there