Vijay Pattni27 November 2013
This is the last ever Lambo Gallardo
Red Spyder Performante marks death of a modern Lambo icon. Can we have the new one now?
After 10 years, 14,022 models sold, an island's worth of new tyres torched in the name of performance and a wall of ear-splitting noise, Lamborghini's little baby has now ended production. That bright red LP570-4 Spyder Performante model you see above is the very, last, one.
We've long known the Gallardo's time was up. It's been on sale for 10 years now - it appeared at the celebrations of the company's 40th anniversary - but marked a turning point for the modern era of Lambo.
From Lamborghini's emergence as a supercar maker way back in the 60s until 2003, it sold an average of just 250 cars each year. In the last decade since the Gallardo kicked in the door and announced its arrival, Lambo sold 2,000 cars a year. And as anyone familiar with a calculator will attest, more models means more money means more bonkers special editions.
Sure, 32 variants later, and the Gallardo feels a little old-school compared to the modern flux of supercars - 458 and McLaren 12C, we're looking at you - but in its day, it was a little riot, and it all culminated in that final ‘Squadra Corse' edition we saw at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
The replacement for this Gallardo will arrive next year. In the meantime, take a moment out of your day to watch Jeremy test the old Gallardo Spyder from Series 8: a test that, don't forget, inspired Clarkson to go straight out and buy one...
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance
- Peugeot's 308 R Hybrid is a 500bhp hot hatch
- Petrol-electric, four-wheel drive Pug is technically a concept, but sounds mighty production-ready...