AGE: 45 OCCUPATION: Rally driver NATIONALITY: American
TopGear.com04 October 2013
TG’s celebrity driving tests: Ken Block
He’s the king of the donut and once made James May feel sick, but can he pass TG’s driving test?
What was your first car?
A MkII Volkswagen Golf GTI 16-valve. I definitely yanked on the handbrake a lot. And potentially jumped it...
And your best car?
I've had a lot of different cars: from a Mercedes 190E, to a Ford Focus RS and a Bentley Continental GT. But my favourite car is the Ford F-150 Raptor as I can drive it round like my rally car. It's the best daily driver I've ever had.
What about your worst car?
A Toyota Cargo van. It was boxy, slow and boring.
What's the fastest you've driven?
190mph. I'm not a speed guy. I mean, I appreciate it and like it, but I'm a rally driver. I like cornering, sliding and jumping.
How clean is your licence?
Quite clean. Mainly because I get so much from racing and Gymkhana. After that, all my aggression is out. So, when I'm on the street, I'm quite docile. But, when I was 17, I did get arrested for jumping my car.
Ever had a crash?
On the street? Only one or two way back in the Eighties. But I've had a few when rallying. The worst being one in Portugal on the WRC shakedown, I went wide on a corner and into a bush where there was a hidden rock. I hit it and rolled four-and-a-half times. That was a four-and-a-half g crash.
Can you drift?
Yes, I can drift. I'm an AWD specialist, but I can drift in rear-wheel-drive cars too - especially my 1978 MkII Escort.
It's the opposite of oversteer.
Ever changed an oil filter?
Yes I have, but I haven't done it in about 20 years.
Which country makes the best cars?
I grew up in a Ford household, and we've always had Fords. So I'd have to say the USA.
Have you owned an Alfa Romeo?
I've never had the opportunity.
First car: VW Golf GTI MkII 16v
Best car: Ford F-150 Raptor
Worst car: Toyota Cargo
Slidey car: Ford Escort MkII
This article was originally published in Top Gear magazine
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan have revealed their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet