Heartwarming news for the bobble-hat fraternity: Toyota is taking the GT86 rallying, and it's all kicking off next month.
Vijay Pattni30 July 2014
The Toyota GT86 rally car is here
New 250bhp CS-R3 to make WRC debut next month in Germany. Sound the sideways klaxon!
At the Rallye Deutschland - the ninth round of the 2014 WRC - Toyota Motorsport will ‘test' its GT86 CS-R3 prototype, marking the brand's return to rallying. Remember, they did pretty well with the old Celicas and Corollas back in the 80s and 90s.
This GT86 CS-R3 has been in development for the past year, and will act as the official ‘pathfinder' car at next month's rally, driving through each stage as a safety test ahead of the field. So it won't be competing.
But still, it's an important milestone for TMG. It will be driven by double women's world rally champ Isolde Hodleried, who will test the newly modified and extra-slidey GT86. This R3 class allows for the 2.0-litre boxer engine to be turned up to the tune of 250bhp, thanks to cam and compression ratio changes.
It also gets a sequential six-speed transmission, limited slip diff, a lightweight safety cage, tailor made wiring looms and motorsport ECUs, and tarmac/gravel specific suspension kits.
"The fact we are testing our prototype on a very public stage, the FIA WRC, shows what confidence we have in the this project," explains Nico Ehlert, TMG's chief engineer. "Interest in this car has already exceeded our expectations and we are looking forward to customer and fan feedback from the rally."
Ah yes, customers. This CS-R3 will be available in kit form from early next year, though pricing is to be announced when the final spec has been, erm, finalised.
Isn't it good to see a Toyota back on the muddy stuff, and in all likelihood very, very sideways?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance