It's turning into a good week for jacked-up, plastic-clad city things. Yesterday we saw the new Fiat Panda Cross, and today Vauxhall has shown the production version of the ‘Adam Rocks', a taller, chunkier version of its chi-chi city car.
Sam Philip19 February 2014
Grr! It’s the Vauxhall Adam Rocks
Taller, chunkier, semi-convertible Adam arrives to battle Fiat’s 500C and Panda Cross
Unlike the Panda Cross, the Adam Rocks - described as ‘a funky urban mini-crossover, no less - remains front-wheel drive only, but stands 15mm taller than the standard Adam, atop revised suspension.
As you'll have spotted, there is much plastic cladding about the bumpers and arches, but more interesting is what's above the window-line.
Unlike the standard tin-roofed Adam, the Rocks comes with the option of a full-length, electrically folding canvas top, much like that in the Citroen DS3 cabrio or Fiat 500C. Vauxhall says it retracts in just five seconds, and has no impact on body stiffness or luggage capacity.
The Adam Rocks will be available with Vauxhall's shiny new 1.0-litre triple we told you of yesterday, in either 89bhp or 113bhp flavour. There are also 1.2- and 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrols available.
This being an Adam, there are many ‘personalisation' options available, including that paintjob (‘Goldbusters', inevitably) and a new interior trim described as ‘peanut-coloured'. Because, let's be honest, who hasn't gazed upon the contents of a packet of dry-roasted and thought, "Damn, I need that shade inside my car..."?
Anyhow. The Adam Rocks will go on sale this summer in the UK. No word on prices yet, but expect a modest jump over the equivalent Rock-free Adam.
So what do you reckon? Rocks' Star? Or Rocks' Bottom?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'