It's turning into a good week for jacked-up, plastic-clad city things. Yesterday we saw the new Fiat Panda Cross, and today Vauxhall has shown the production version of the ‘Adam Rocks', a taller, chunkier version of its chi-chi city car.
Sam Philip19 February 2014
Grr! It’s the Vauxhall Adam Rocks
Taller, chunkier, semi-convertible Adam arrives to battle Fiat’s 500C and Panda Cross
Unlike the Panda Cross, the Adam Rocks - described as ‘a funky urban mini-crossover, no less - remains front-wheel drive only, but stands 15mm taller than the standard Adam, atop revised suspension.
As you'll have spotted, there is much plastic cladding about the bumpers and arches, but more interesting is what's above the window-line.
Unlike the standard tin-roofed Adam, the Rocks comes with the option of a full-length, electrically folding canvas top, much like that in the Citroen DS3 cabrio or Fiat 500C. Vauxhall says it retracts in just five seconds, and has no impact on body stiffness or luggage capacity.
The Adam Rocks will be available with Vauxhall's shiny new 1.0-litre triple we told you of yesterday, in either 89bhp or 113bhp flavour. There are also 1.2- and 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrols available.
This being an Adam, there are many ‘personalisation' options available, including that paintjob (‘Goldbusters', inevitably) and a new interior trim described as ‘peanut-coloured'. Because, let's be honest, who hasn't gazed upon the contents of a packet of dry-roasted and thought, "Damn, I need that shade inside my car..."?
Anyhow. The Adam Rocks will go on sale this summer in the UK. No word on prices yet, but expect a modest jump over the equivalent Rock-free Adam.
So what do you reckon? Rocks' Star? Or Rocks' Bottom?
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance