Vauxhall has released a single image of a new production Astra that will debut at this year's Geneva Motor Show. When it arrives, it will be the fastest production Astra...in the world.
Vijay Pattni30 January 2014
This is the fastest ever Astra VXR
Lightweight, limited edition, street-legal VXR ‘Extreme’ based on ‘Ring racer is coming. Be afraid
It's called the Astra VXR ‘Extreme', and is not a friendly Astra you can take to the garden centre, but one that would very much like to drive through the garden centre and set it on fire. It takes inspiration from the 300bhp cars that raced in last year's Opel Astra OPC Cup (keen viewers will remember it was the unfortunately named Bonk Motorsport who took top honours last year), and will sit at the top of the Astra VXR range.
So, it'll be street legal, relieved of extraneous fat and trimmings, use high-quality carbon components, a roll cage, racing seats and six-point safety belts. No word on power, but we expect it to be much more powerful than the already bonkers 276bhp Astra VXR; a car we admire for its ability to smoke the front tyres. As mentioned, those OPC Cup cars pack around 300bhp. 300bhp is a very, very large figure for a front-wheel-drive hatchback (just check out those Hankook tyres in the pic above).
Vauxhall has timed it to perfection, too: 2014 marks ten years since the launch of the VXR range, and what better way to celebrate than with a limited edition run of a car that wants to tear your face off? More info will be released as we creep closer to Geneva. Be afraid.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'