This is a Volkswagen Beetle with a difference. It is a Volkswagen Beetle that does away with a place to put flowers and pretty things, and instead uses all available space to put many, many horsepowers. Meet the GRC Beetle. Now with 560bhp.
Vijay Pattni06 February 2014
Meet the 560bhp Rallycross Beetle
Forget flowers and peace: this 4WD MegaBug will race this year in the hands of Tanner Foust
That GRC stands for Global Rallycross (not to be confused with World Rallycross, where the Peugeot 208 T16 will compete): this Rockstar-liveried Beetle will be VW Andretti Autosport's entrant for the second half of the season.
Drivers include the excellently named Scott Speed (a former Toro Rosso driver who was replaced by Vettel), and TG USA's very own Tanner Foust.
It's got a 2.0-litre TSI engine producing a very, very turbocharged 560bhp. Actually, VW tells us it has ‘more than' 560bhp. It's also four-wheel-drive, and completely, utterly bonkers.
And if you're wondering whether a 2.0-litre Beetle engine can manage 560bhp without going pop, don't forget TG has actually driven a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder 500bhp Beetle in Los Angeles (along with that 500bhp Golf GTI concept), and it was very, very fast. And laggy.
And about that second-half-of-the-season thing. VW says it wants to run a modified Polo rally car for the first, and then switch to the Beetle.
We don't know why, but the Polo is built on the same chassis that won last year's World Rally Championship. So again, no slouch.
We are expecting many fireworks to occur during the running of the 2014 Global Rallycross season - which kicks off at Top Gear Live in Barbados later this year - because we rather like this Beetle.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- McLaren’s cheapest supercar: new 540C
- V8-engined, 533bhp baby brother to 570S lands in Shanghai, yours for £126,000
- Bentley to build coupe-SUV... and convertible SUV?
- Bentayga 4x4 could be followed by an upmarket BMW X6 rival, and even a drop-top version, Bentley boss tells TG
- This Lexus drift vid is hypnotic
- Stop what you’re doing and watch the LFA supercar, two RC F coupes and two RC F racers dance