Vijay Pattni17 February 2014
It’s the new VW Scirocco!
Well, sort of. Most powerful ever ‘Roc to debut at Geneva, gets very mild facelift and new engines
Obviously, what with the new Golf GTI, new Golf R, 500bhp Golf concept and Rallycross Beetle, Wolfsburg has been mighty busy, hence the rather mild facelift. You'll notice the redesigned front bumper, daytime running lights, LED tail lights, and a reshaped rear bumper. Though don't forget, the Scirocco has yet to become MQB'd, sitting as it does on an old Golf platform.
Still, the ‘R' gets bespoke bumpers and alloys, but the more interesting thing about this model is that it now becomes the most powerful Scirocco... in the world. Its 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine now produces 276bhp, up from 261bhp before. We wouldn't expect too much of an improvement over the 0-62mph times (6.0 seconds for the manual ‘box, 5.8 with the DSG), while that 258lb ft of torque remains the same as before. Still, it's good for a 155mph top speed.
What would make an improvement over the 0-62mph times, however, would be for VW to fit the new 296bhp 2.0-litre TSI we drove in the new Golf R. Please, VW, make this happen.
Elsewhere you'll find the 1.4-litre TSI now produces 122bhp, there's a 177bhp 2.0-litre petrol engine that replaces the 157bhp 1.4, and a pair of 2.0-litre diesels (148bhp and 181bhp). Plus, the 207bhp 2.0-litre now produces 218bhp, as in the Golf GTI.
Inside there's a new set of dials and an auxiliary instrument cluster above the centre console - just like in 1974, man - with prices announced closer to its delivery date in September. You'll see the new car in Geneva, though, which is only next month.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- This is a road-legal 1000bhp RS6
- Jon Olsson is back with a DTM-inspired Audi family wagon. Is this the ultimate all-weather daily driver?
- This is Subaru’s 450bhp BRZ STI
- Engine from the GT300 racer, rear wing from hell: Subaru springs a surprise at New York show
- It's the Porsche Boxster Spyder!
- Another one to tempt away 911 fans? The 370bhp, fabric-roofed Boxster has landed in NYC
- This is what £20m of supercars looks like
- See what happened when the P1, LaFerrari, 918, Veyrons and more got together for charity
- The car world’s worst April Fools
- From BMW mouthguards to Vauxhall kebabs, we round up 2015's most clanging April 1 ‘pranks'