Earlier this year, certain parts of our anatomy became lightly effervescent at the sight of Volvo's glorious Concept Coupe; the first design study from new styling chief Thomas Ingenlath.
Vijay Pattni11 December 2013
The next Volvo XC90?
Swoopy Concept XC will debut in Detroit next year, previews new Volvo design language
Well, here's the second. It's called the Concept XC Coupe, and is a teaser for the centrepiece of Volvo's stand at the Detroit Motor Show in January. And, based on these sketches, it looks rather nice.
While Volvo is irritatingly quiet on any details, it's likely the concept sits on the company's Scaleable Product Architecture, a modular platform developed in-house to rival Volkswagen's MQB.
Ingenlath has previously stated the next XC90 will have "distinctive, surprising delight details" and features that exemplify "the powerful calmness of a lion". Yikes.
Volvo says this new XC Coupe will showcase the brand's famous safety tech too, though there's no word on drivetrains; here's hoping the XC Coupe gets the same 2.0-litre turbocharged four-pot producing 400bhp. That's our sort of ‘active lifestyle'.
Full details will be released on 8 January, so check back then.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- These are Peugeot’s wildest concept cars
- No one does a mad design study like the French. Here are Pug's most head-scratching efforts
- Video: 1000bhp RS6 on the snow
- Watch Jon Olsson's DTM-inspired estate destroy a mountain. Warning: contains Much Noise
- What’s your favourite Vision GT car?
- Gamers of the world, unite. Here are the maddest, baddest concepts from Gran Turismo 6
- Wallpapers: the new Focus RS
- Decorate your desktop with TG's glorious shots of the 320bhp-plus, 4WD B-road supercar slayer
- Ten things we learned this week
- Peacocks assaulting cars, and the Ford GT guitar: it’s another weird week in the world of motoring