Earlier this year, certain parts of our anatomy became lightly effervescent at the sight of Volvo's glorious Concept Coupe; the first design study from new styling chief Thomas Ingenlath.
Vijay Pattni11 December 2013
The next Volvo XC90?
Swoopy Concept XC will debut in Detroit next year, previews new Volvo design language
Well, here's the second. It's called the Concept XC Coupe, and is a teaser for the centrepiece of Volvo's stand at the Detroit Motor Show in January. And, based on these sketches, it looks rather nice.
While Volvo is irritatingly quiet on any details, it's likely the concept sits on the company's Scaleable Product Architecture, a modular platform developed in-house to rival Volkswagen's MQB.
Ingenlath has previously stated the next XC90 will have "distinctive, surprising delight details" and features that exemplify "the powerful calmness of a lion". Yikes.
Volvo says this new XC Coupe will showcase the brand's famous safety tech too, though there's no word on drivetrains; here's hoping the XC Coupe gets the same 2.0-litre turbocharged four-pot producing 400bhp. That's our sort of ‘active lifestyle'.
Full details will be released on 8 January, so check back then.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- A message from TopGear.com
- The investigation's done. The BBC has delivered its Clarkson verdict. Here’s where we’re at
- Ten highlights of the New York show
- As the doors of the NYC Auto Show prepare to swing open, here’s some of the new metal we’ll see there
- Exclusive: up close with Aston's 800bhp Vulcan
- It costs £1.5m. It's very much not road legal. Only 24 will be built. You want one
- Road trip: hunting for old Minis in Chile
- A small British hatch. The driest, wildest place on Earth. What could go wrong?
- Meet the 2015 Le Mans contenders
- Porsche, Audi, Toyota and Nissan have revealed their very different LMP1 racers. Here’s your tech crib-sheet