Earlier this year, certain parts of our anatomy became lightly effervescent at the sight of Volvo's glorious Concept Coupe; the first design study from new styling chief Thomas Ingenlath.
Vijay Pattni11 December 2013
The next Volvo XC90?
Swoopy Concept XC will debut in Detroit next year, previews new Volvo design language
Well, here's the second. It's called the Concept XC Coupe, and is a teaser for the centrepiece of Volvo's stand at the Detroit Motor Show in January. And, based on these sketches, it looks rather nice.
While Volvo is irritatingly quiet on any details, it's likely the concept sits on the company's Scaleable Product Architecture, a modular platform developed in-house to rival Volkswagen's MQB.
Ingenlath has previously stated the next XC90 will have "distinctive, surprising delight details" and features that exemplify "the powerful calmness of a lion". Yikes.
Volvo says this new XC Coupe will showcase the brand's famous safety tech too, though there's no word on drivetrains; here's hoping the XC Coupe gets the same 2.0-litre turbocharged four-pot producing 400bhp. That's our sort of ‘active lifestyle'.
Full details will be released on 8 January, so check back then.
More from Top Gear
Best of TopGear
- Supra from Fast & Furious up for sale
- Yep, the orange hero car driven by the late Paul Walker is coming up for auction
- This is Chevy’s self-driving future car
- FNR concept is a terrifyingly cool, dragonfly-doored mobility capsule. With roof mounted radar
- Paul Walker’s 550bhp Skyline is for sale
- Tuned Nissan driven by actor in Fast and Furious 4 is up for grabs, and you need it in your life
- First drive: VW Golf R Estate
- TG’s favourite hot hatch is now available in estate flavour. But is it as good? Tom Harrison reports
- Di Resta: “People want noisy cars”
- Former Force India driver talks DTM, and where the German touring car series can fill the gaps F1 fails to