Advertisement
BBC TopGear
BBC TopGear
Subscribe to Top Gear magazine
Sign up to our Top Gear Magazine
Subscribe
Electric

Shock! Your kids want you to drive an electric car

Further shock: you want them to learn in one too

Published: 19 Jan 2022

Here’s an interesting line of logic. Young people care about climate change. They want their family to do its bit. Electric cars are a glaringly obvious step. Child persuades parent to go electric. Ergo, kids are calling the shots in new car purchasing.

Following this ‘revelation’ Peugeot did some research which showed 25 per cent of adults say their kids pester them about switching to electric. Now it’s tempting to assume that 75 per cent of kids are therefore ordering their folks to hold on to petrol for dear life. Doubtful unfortunately. I’m a parent to teenagers. The 75 per cent aren’t talking at all.

Advertisement - Page continues below

Peugeot’s conclusion is that it’s therefore worth developing a strategy that gently targets the younger generation. Expect to see more of this in due course – and from other marques too. If nothing else it’s useful because it helps unstitch some myths.

Such as: Peugeot’s research also showed that 28 per cent of adults believe EVs will be more difficult to learn to drive in. To prove this wrong (and presumably align with the other 72 per cent of respondents) I took Luke, my 16 year old (previous driving experience: birthday go-kart parties and that one time I let him loose in the long-term Ariel Nomad on a mate’s farm) to Bedford Autodrome and set him off in a Peugeot e-208.

By the end of lap three he was doing 70mph down the main straight and learning about racing lines. Here’s Luke: “It was really easy to drive. I was warned about how quick it would be off the line, but it was really smooth. It was just strange being told I had to brake with my right foot, when in go-karts you brake with your left."

So a novice driver finds electric easy. Hardly earth-shattering. But important because less worry about engine and gears means more bandwidth available to focus on the hard bit of driving – what every other bloody road user is doing.

Advertisement - Page continues below
Kids and EVs

So EVs make sense to learn in – and the next stat from Peugeot is that 40 per cent of parents want their kids to learn in EVs. Stands to reason given the simplicity. However, here I’m with the presumed 60 per cent. More personal experience: my daughter, a year older than her brother, would far rather learn with electric.

But I’ve insisted she learns in a manual, because the first car she buys will not be electric. That’ll be cost-prohibitive. For the next 10-15 years we’re in transition and financially-speaking electric cars will be out of the reach of young drivers. She could drive an auto of course, but you never know when the ability to drive a manual might come in handy.

And imagine learning and passing in an electric car and then having to switch to a tatty old petrol auto. That’s a high risk strategy if ever there was one. Every time you come to a roundabout and discover your petrol has none of the insta-torque and response of your instructor’s EV.

Peugeot’s quest to persuade young drivers to the benefits of electric is commendable, but doesn’t have a huge point – they’re already on board. As a car audience you’re aware of the environmental drawbacks of EVs (heavy weight, tyre wear, rare earth minerals etc), but the wider world is already convinced these things are the answer to every problem. In another survey Peugeot found that “67.8 per cent of all children believed electric and plug-in vehicles are good for the planet”. Hmm. Maybe that’s where the education should be focused.

Top Gear
Newsletter

Get all the latest news, reviews and exclusives, direct to your inbox.

More from Top Gear

Loading
See more on Peugeot

Subscribe to the Top Gear Newsletter

Get all the latest news, reviews and exclusives, direct to your inbox.

By clicking subscribe, you agree to receive news, promotions and offers by email from Top Gear and BBC Studios. Your information will be used in accordance with our privacy policy.

BBC TopGear

Try BBC Top Gear Magazine

subscribe