If you own, or are thinking of owning, an Audi S1, you’ll be pleased to know that, thanks to TG, it’s now a fraction safer. You see, we were meant to resolve the whole Golf R or S1 thing about six months ago, but… it didn’t end well. One of our number, a Chief (nudge nudge) rather than an Indian, set the baby Audi on fire.
Now, it was subsequently discovered that an incorrectly installed hose had interfered with the heat shield near the catalyst, so the insulating material had come adrift, touched the turbo and caught fire. It can’t do that any more.
Pictures: John Wycherley
This feature originally appeared in the Awards 2014 issue of Top Gear magazine.